Monday, April 14, 2014

DAYS OF MY YOUTH

Sakazi

Remembering the days of my youth – when we, my friends and I, use to attend our Youth Club, Impumelelo Youth Club. It was the days of the country’s political maieutic, a social change and spiritual birth that will lead our country, South Africa, into a social infusion – Black and White, Coloured and Indian were to walk, and think the same autonomous attitude.


We, my friends and I, were youth and eager about the world _ dreaming of things to come and things to be - the flattering of youth.

We belonged to a youth club that kept us off the dusty streets of Mambisa (Tembisa) and took us to the seductive stage of dancing, singing (mostly miming to famous groups and songs) acting (our own material) and dreaming of....getting the girls. I don’t know whether the girls in our crew dreamt of getting.... the boys, I certainly didn’t ask.

We did not play sport in our club, Impumelelo Youth Club - however, we did organise Sports Day once, to get our community in Tembisa, particularly Hospital View, involved in youth activity.

I remember, Zimi, Kenny, Jabu, Delina, Daisy, Lerato, Andrew Coach, Matsila, Tsibo, Mpho, Meketsi, Dumisani, Phillip, Nhlanhla, Prudence, Gift, and you. Yes, you that I forgot to name.

We went to places Kenny organised for us to go to. We saw people, we saw females...sorry, fashion_ we made friends.

There was no Facebook back then, there was Kwaito Music, Politics, Dreams, Festival, Street Bash, more Dreaming, YFM and the SABC (South African Broadcasting Corporation)

Days of my youth******

WORD TO THE YOUTH REVOLUTION

Linda Sakazi Thwala

No comments: