Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Can Themba’s “THE SUIT” : MALTIDA’S SUICIDE NOTE



 Dear Philemon

Dearest loved. I am deeply mortified with the occurrence of my betrayal to you. In all essence. I hope you realise my actions were not meant to hurt you. If anything your expectations towards me pressurised me to do what I have done, and what I am going to or about to do.

Your expectations placed me at goddess status. Which, I found that I could not live up to. Sleeping with that man, was my biggest mistake. I felt you could not love me as much as you claimed you did. Pretending to all, with your immaculate manner and disciplined demeanour. Concerned with what people say but, I found it was too high a standard for me to maintain. Even if I loved you.

Learning how cruel a person you are. Through my betrayal, showed me, you do have a devious nature too. My wrong doing left a scar in my heart. I pleaded for your forgiveness, however you chose to humiliate and degrade me with that suit. A suit of a man I hardly knew. You made me parade with it around the township. Dishing up for it, every evening. In our diminishing relationship, I tried to make things right in your home, to no avail.

To salvage myself, I joined a Cultural Club. Blinding myself to the depths of your cruelty, to me, your wife. Instead of being kind and caring, you literally murdered me before doleful strangers. Mocking me with that albatross. Crucifying my femaleness, my identity, towards people who had nothing to do with my betrayal.

Expectations placed upon me by you and society with assumptions of my womanhood are too great a mountain to climb. How long does it take a person to forgive another?

I am not an angel. I tread on solid ground, not on celestial pathways where everything is pure, white and perfect. I have needs! I know you work hard for our welfare and as an intuitive woman, I nurtured your needs. But what about me?

Well from this day on, I won’t be a problem to you . I cannot live with this emotional abuse. Death is better than living with a man that despises you as a woman. I did not mean to betray you. It pains me so, so much. Sorry for not living to your expectations.  

Your Dispirited

Matilda

 
WORD TO THE NOVELLA REVOLUTION

Linda Sakazi Thwala 

(Can Themba's "The Suit" _ writing assignment UNISA-2001)

No comments: